The Capitals brings you the most recent information from throughout Europe, by means of on-the-ground reporting by Euractiv’s media community. You’ll be able to subscribe to the e-newsletter right here.
The European information you should learn. Welcome to The Capitals by Euractiv.
At the moment’s version is powered by Equinor
Carbon Seize and Storage (CCS): A Answer to Obtain International Local weather Objectives
Equinor safely shops CO2 within the Norwegian North Sea. The Northern Lights venture will begin storing CO2 in 2024, and the brand new Smeaheia license has the potential to retailer 20 million tonnes of CO2 yearly, transported from Belgium and Germany by means of a brand new pipeline.
Discover out extra →
In right now’s information from The Capitals:
US presidential candidate Donald Trump’s feedback on abandoning alliance companions are a possible “bluff” forward of the elections, in accordance with Czech European Affairs Minister Martin Dvořák, who believes no US president would abandon the US’s position as a world chief. Learn extra.
Weimar Triangle sings ‘unity’ tune in rebuke of Trump’s NATO claims. Donald Trump took flak on Monday from heads of presidency and international ministers of the ‘Weimar Triangle’, consisting of France, Germany, and Poland, for his claims he wouldn’t intervene if a NATO member had been to be attacked by Russia. Learn extra.
UK & IRELAND
EU, UK urge scientists to affix analysis programme after Brexit issues. EU and UK science chiefs on Monday launched a push to draw scientists to Europe’s €95,5-billion Horizon analysis programme after warnings of excessive prices and crimson tape in Britain. Learn extra.
Spain suggests simplifying CAP, strengthening Mercosur ‘mirror clauses’. Spain will current a proposal to streamline administrative guidelines beneath the Frequent Agricultural Coverage and strengthen mirror clauses in free commerce agreements, such because the EU-Mercosur deal, to make sure that buying and selling companions respect related agricultural and environmental constraints, Spanish Agriculture Minister Luis Planas (PSOE/S&D) mentioned on Monday. Learn extra.
Portuguese farmers’ federation in Brussels to ask for €60 million owed. The Confederation of Portuguese Farmers can be in Brussels from Wednesday to Friday to ask EU Agriculture Commissioner Janusz Wojciechowski to approve the €60 million in state assist owed to the sector. Learn extra.
Morawiecki presumably spied on in the course of the Pegasus scandal. Victims of the misuse of Pegasus adware beneath the earlier conservative Legislation and Justice (PiS) authorities could have included former Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, in accordance with Polish media studies. Learn extra.
NEWS FROM THE BALKANS
Professional-Russian Bulgarian occasion exhibiting indicators of disaster forward of EU elections. Bulgaria’s largest far-right and pro-Russian occasion, Vazrazhdane, is exhibiting indicators of disaster forward of June’s EU elections, as evidenced by a drop within the polls and up to date exits, together with that of one of many occasion’s most distinguished figures. Learn extra.
NGOs slam new Romanian deepfake invoice, say it resembles Chinese language strategy. Romania’s deep faux invoice leans extra in direction of the Chinese language mannequin than the European one; a number of NGOs mentioned, which, after being debated within the Chamber of Deputies on Monday, was despatched again to the specialised committees. Learn extra.
Trump’s NATO remark was ‘pre-election rhetoric’, say Croatian politicians, analysts. Former US President Donald Trump’s touch upon not defending NATO members who don’t make investments sufficient in defence could be largely attributed to the US’s heated election marketing campaign, in accordance with politicians and analysts who spoke with Euractiv, with some including that these feedback fall in keeping with his contempt for NATO. Learn extra.
- EU: Fifth assembly of EU-Armenia Partnership Council anticipated to concentrate on implementation of the EU-Armenia Complete and Enhanced Partnership Settlement and Priorities, rule of legislation, commerce, and extra;
- Fee President Ursula von der Leyen delivers speech at Worldwide Power Company’s fiftieth anniversary plenary session; Meets with President of France Emmanuel Macron;
- Fee Vice President Dubravka Suica hosts President of EESC Oliver Röpke;
- Well being Commissioner Stella Kyriakides delivers video message to mark Worldwide Childhood Most cancers Day 2024 at European Society of Paediatric Oncology occasion;
- Agriculture Commissioner Janusz Wojciechowski participates in International Meals Discussion board, organised by Farm Europe; Attends excessive stage roundtable on European Meals Safety, organised by MEP Ivan Štefanec;
- Commissioner Wopke Hoekstra receives Worldwide Emissions Buying and selling Affiliation (IETA) President and CEO Dirk Forrister; Participates in Bruegel occasion on “2040 targets: the place are we on the trail to a climate-neutral EU?”;
- Innovation, Analysis, Tradition, Training and Youth Commissioner Iliana Ivanova meets Minister for Veterans and Minister for Greater and Additional Training of Scotland Graeme Dey, in Edinburgh, United Kingdom;
- Monetary providers, monetary stability and Capital Markets Union Commissioner Mairead McGuinness meets with new Chair of the Supervisory Board of the European Central Financial institution Claudia Buch; Delivers opening and shutting remarks at 4th excessive stage Assembly on Union Restrictive Measures, organised by the Fee; Offers opening remarks at Sanctions Coordinators Discussion board organised by the Fee;
- Inner Market Commissioner Thierry Breton meets with NATO Secretary Common Jens Stoltenberg; Participates in North Atlantic Council (NAC) assembly, in Brussels;
[Edited by Sarantis Michalopoulos, Daniel Eck, Alice Taylor, Sofia Stuart Leeson, Sofia Mandilara]